Make a Reservation on Open Table
Farmhouse Tavern in Evanston is built almost completely from reclaimed and re-used materials. The vast majority of the wood in Farmhouse is reclaimed barn siding and beams from three barns in the Southwestern Wisconsin towns of Monticello, South Wayne and Wiota. The barns were built between 1850 and 1890. The wood used at Farmhouse is all old growth timber, impossible to replicate today. The beams were as large as 10” by 10” and cut from beams as long as 30’ long. The beams show the old mortise and tenon joinery and in many cases show the wooden pegs that were driven in to hold the beams together.
The large barn doors on the second floor were removed from a large dairy barn in Wiota Wisconsin. In it’s hay day, the barn was home for over 200 Guernseys. Unfortunately the farmer was killed in a tractor accident, the farm was sold and the farm fell into disrepair.
The ceilings and floors in the snug came from a 1910 farmhouse in Wiota Wisconsin.
The tables are built of 8” x 8” old growth fir beams. The beams were were ripped by a tractor-driven saw on site in Wisconsin. This old growth wood is so much harder then today’s lumber that the saw blades were replaced three times in three hours of work. The wood was hauled down to Chicago and assembled into tables on premise in Evanston.
The tin ceiling panels we on the second floor and the restrooms were removed from an old printing shop on the west side of Chicago and are vintage 1910. The print shop was being demolished to accommodate a new craft brewery.
The doors by table 14 is a bulkhead (basement) door from TJ and Molly’s Brown Dog Farm in Mineral Point, Wisconsin. Similarly the door by table 37 was from the Brown Dog Farm root cellar. The first part of the farmhouse was built in 1835 and is literally older than the City of Chicago.
TJ and Ferdia salvaged an abandoned furniture factory on Chicago’s South Side to build the first Farmhouse. The last tenant of the factory suddenly closed, leaving mountains of half built furniture behind. The diamond plate steel on the first floor bar was originally on the floors of the factory. The wooden wainscoting on the first floor was originally intended to be little girl’s bedroom furniture. The lampshade frames on the first floor bar we believe were templates for manufacturing lamp shades. The armchairs across from the pickle room are also from the abandoned factory and were restored by TJ and Ferdia.
Our pride and joy is the Beerador. A Beerador is a 8 ½’ tall, half a ton refrigerator designed to look like a giant bottle of beer. The original advertising brochures claimed a Beerador could hold 500 bottles of beer. Beeradors (later renamed Bevadors) were manufactured by the Jewett Company in Buffalo New York in the 1950s. TJ looked for a Beerador for almost a year and finally secured this one in the mountains of western Pennsylvania. The Beerador had been sitting in a retired contractor’s garage for twenty years. He had obtained it from a bar that was being demolished due to a bridge being built on the site.